Here are some quick brain breaks you can do at any time to calm kids' bodies and minds:
1) Breathe deeply. Put your hands on your waist. Let all the air out like a balloon. Hold it...now breathe in slowly and quietly, fill the bottom (see your hands expand), now fill the top (see your chest expand), hold it...then breathe out.
2) Eye exercise. Hold up your thumb. Look at your thumb, now look at me. Thumb, me...thumb me...thumb, me...now hands down, squeeze your eyes gently shut...and focus here...
3) Clasp hands low, behind your back. Lean forward and stretch down, hold. Let go. Breathe and focus.
4) Palming. Cup your hands and place the palms gently over your eyes. Count down 5-4-3-2-1. Try one eye first, then both.
5) Shoulder roll. Shoulders up, back, down...up, back down...back, up, forward hunch...back, up, forward hunch...breathe and focus.
If you do it, kids will imitate--they're hard-wired to. And they actually love to relax, if you show them how.
If you'd like to print out the eye exercise poster, it's here and it's free.